Is the MP the right person to represent you?

Unfortunately MPs are not able to solve all problems. MPs are there to help with those matters for which Parliament or central government is responsible or which fall under their responsibility.

If Teresa is not the right person to deal with your enquiry, she will do her best to direct you to the right person or body to help.  For many matters, the appropriate first step is to contact your local councillor. For example, on issues relating to council tax, local social services or day to day problems in schools the first port of call should be your local councillors. To find out who your local councillors are click here.

MPs can help if your enquiry concerns central government policies. For example, problems with the National Health Service; HM Revenue and Customs who collect the bulk of tax and pay child benefit and tax credits; the Department of Work and Pensions who deal with issues such as benefits, pensions and national insurance; and the Home Office who deal with immigration cases.

MPs are limited in the help they can provide in cases of private disputes with neighbours, disputes with an employer, with family matters or with companies who have sold you faulty goods; and they cannot interfere with decisions made by courts.